Tuesday, February 9, 2016

How to become an effective personal manager


  I was listening to this interview of Damon Dash a person I admire and respect and I remember him saying that artist always will resent you thats just the way it is when there the creative and your the business man they always will have that resentment. I thought about the artist I was around in my life and the way they would talk about there managers. I was like wow Damon Dash hit the nail on the head. I remember talking to this artist (whos name I will hold for all intents and purposes). He this man literally cried because in my arms explaining to me how his manager did bad business with him and he wasn't privy to how alot of business was handled. What my advice to up and coming managers is develop a reputation of good faith. I'd like to consider my self a visionary or seer. I beleive in a world full of wolves and sheep the shepard always wins. Artist want somebody they can trust. I believe that if you are to become a manager don't make it your bread and butter. I believe if it becomes your bread and butter you will compromise your integrity in your artist. I remember talking to an up and coming artist from New York and what he explained to me is that he would love to sign with Jermaine Dupri. In my mind I was saying I listened to his music I could't really imagine him being on a label like So So Def. What he explained to me was you never hear about Jermaine Dupri taking anybodies money or anybody having a fall out with him. That is when it dawned on me because of Jermaine Dupris reputation there will always be artist willing to deal with him. 

  Remember you are a manager, an overseer meaning that you are organizing, monitoring and guiding an artist. You have to be a mentor, a coach, maybe some what of a father figure and guidance counselor 
all rolled in one. You have to explain there duties, know there expectations, and explain defining there role as an artist. You want to guide them through this maze called the music industry. The artist might be hanging around a crowd that might not necessary be beneficial for the artist. You have to be the one to cordially place this artist to the side and explain that to them in a way they are receptive to. So you have to understand human psychology to a degree, how the film,televison, and music industry operates. Television and film have been essential aspects of developing a star.

  Don't invest in a artist that you not are not passionate about. Don't just choose an artist because uyou believe it will make you a quick buck. Choose a artist that sees the value in you as well as you seeing the value in them. Regardless of the level of respect you have for each other be sure to have a mutual agreement printed out. make sure that there is clauses in the agreement that constitute your distribution of monies in the case you effort severed ties and go separate ways. You just want to protect yourself so that you can be reimbursed out of any out of pocket expenditures. Apply this mentality not only as an artist but in yourself. Focus and make sure you have an entrepreneurial mindset.


No comments:

Post a Comment